Saturday, April 20, 2013

O My Northside Home: A walk down Wilton and up Fremont.


For the first time in 16 years, I'm moving on August 1st; and although I'm going to try to stay in the same neighborhood, I might not be able to afford to, so this spring and summer I'm trying to get a bunch of photo essays done of various walks through the Uptown/Buena Park/Lakeview/Wrigleyville areas I live sort of in the center of. Here, an errand I had to do over at Waveland and Halsted, so took the little side streets of Wilton and Fremont there and back, starting with the historic St. Mary's Of The Lake Catholic Church you're seeing in the first photo below, which I live just a couple of doors down from. I don't really have much to say about the rest of the images, so I'll just let them run without comment, which is sort of the whole point -- I want these to be reminders that why I liked living here for so long is precisely because there's nothing particular special about it, just a pleasant and clean urban neighborhood full of architecture from the Victorian Age to the 21st century, dotted here and there with historic buildings and hipster bars and interesting graffiti and humongous brick-like public schools. I spent the majority of my college years desperately fantasizing about living in this kind of neighborhood, and I have to say that two decades later it still remaining the deliriously fulfilling experience I always hoped it would be, so I like being able to do these photo essays about nothing particularly important at all, that nonetheless remind me of why I love living in Chicago so much.

Oh, and a tech note: I was going to color-balance these, like I do with most of the photos I post online, but then I thought there was something nice about these reflecting the gray, cool, rainy day it was when I took these. So many of my memories of the Uptown and Lakeview neighborhoods are associated with such gray rainy days, it's nice to occasionally have faithful photographic records of them.


























No comments:

Post a Comment